360 hard drive

Xbox 360

Found 20 posts - Go to Last Post

im constantly running out if memeory on my 360, I was looking to buy an external hard drive to plug into the usb socket, I then went into game and they informed me that, that wouldn't work? are they feeding me full of sh*t or are they right in saying I wouldn't be able to install games ive had to delete to install new ones? they wanted me to buy a new hard drive altogether just wondering if they were just trying to make a sale.
is it worth getting a new hard drive to then avoid the risk of losing games or it not working?
I know all id have to do is transfer all my saves and games onto my new harddrive it just seems a bit of a faff.
They are right. USB HDD cannot be used for games/memories/etc. You can delete old to make space for new, or you can buy an extra official HDD and swap as needed.
ok thanks for the info you saved me some money lol, il just get a new HDD and have to faff xD
By faff you mean have the two HD and then a USB to switch your profiles between them right?
I have 3 360 consoles that I use all the time, and I keep all my save info on 16GB USB stick. Worth the money and effort, UNLESS, you only have one console, and it is an "Arcade" you added a HDD to.

Arcade has 4GB flash on board, and you can use that for profile and saves, and use HDD only for game itself.
You can use an external USB drive for games:

"The most recent update to Xbox LIVE® enables support for USB flash drives to expand the memory of any Xbox 360 console. Take your game saves, Xbox LIVE gamer profiles, or Arcade game downloads with you..."

Via: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/storage

There are a list of compatible drives, but I have a USB drive that I have used to install games to, save files, profiles, etc.
You can use an external USB drive for games:

"The most recent update to Xbox LIVE® enables support for USB flash drives to expand the memory of any Xbox 360 console. Take your game saves, Xbox LIVE gamer profiles, or Arcade game downloads with you..."

Via: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/storage

There are a list of compatible drives, but I have a USB drive that I have used to install games to, save files, profiles, etc.
Originally Posted by palmettobling
That update is intended for USB Thumbdrives, and caps at 16GB, so, no point in buying a multi GB or multi TB drive...
That update is intended for USB Thumbdrives, and caps at 16GB, so, no point in buying a multi GB or multi TB drive...
Originally Posted by futiles
but theoretically can't you move your saves to a 16gb flash then from there upload those to a bigger drive on or via PC.. Then when you wanted it pull it back out the same way? A little time consuming, but if you were done with some saves for a while or saves that were sp only and good for your personal benefit. Put them on their freeing space? Or are we talking full dlc stuff that isn't compatible with bigger drives?
but theoretically can't you move your saves to a 16gb flash then from there upload those to a bigger drive on or via PC.. Then when you wanted it pull it back out the same way? A little time consuming, but if you were done with some saves for a while or saves that were sp only and good for your personal benefit. Put them on their freeing space? Or are we talking full dlc stuff that isn't compatible with bigger drives?
Originally Posted by B8TINGU
Not without unsupported ( - read that as a hack - ) third party software. The USB Thumbdrive is formatted differently that a standard FAT32 or NTFS file structure. A Windows (or Linux or Mac) Operating System cannot read the information, so, it cannot access it. So, no, you really cannot do that.

However, you can use your 16GB Thumbdrive however you want. You can put your profile, your saves, entire XBLA games, etc.
Originally Posted by futiles
Correction.. You can use a USB flash drive as an Xbox 360 storage device and store up to 32 gigabytes (GB) of content.

That was pulled from official website as I currently use a 32GB confirming it works Smile
Correction.. You can use a USB flash drive as an Xbox 360 storage device and store up to 32 gigabytes (GB) of content.

That was pulled from official website as I currently use a 32GB confirming it works Smile
Originally Posted by GamingTech84
Sweet! Glad they raised the cap. Although, I have 14GB free on my 16GB. If all you do is profile and saves, anything over 8GB is going to be like unlimited space. But, if you do save XBLA games, then 32GB is nice.
totally agree.. I put my profile on the 4GB internal. Then install currently playing game disc and XBLA games on the 32GB. Got the 4GB model from Target For $150 on sale couldn't pass it up and already had thumb drive, In my situation worked perfectly.

NOTE: Some games do not support thumb drive.. The only one that I have found was BF4 but all other games so far that stated they need hard drive didn't care, just heads up.
Definitely some good info here guys I appreciate it, makes me from making some big mistakes!!
totally agree.. I put my profile on the 4GB internal. Then install currently playing game disc and XBLA games on the 32GB. Got the 4GB model from Target For $150 on sale couldn't pass it up and already had thumb drive, In my situation worked perfectly.

NOTE: Some games do not support thumb drive.. The only one that I have found was BF4 but all other games so far that stated they need hard drive didn't care, just heads up.
Originally Posted by GamingTech84
Have you played GTAV? Seems like that one might have required an actual HDD.
Haven't played GTAV yet but that one probably requires a actual hard drive..And if anyone is wondering the official announcement also states Titanfall WILL need a hard drive and will not work on thumb drive. COD:GHOST states need storage but works with thumb drive, I tested and verified.
I don't mean im running outta room for my saves, I mean the games ive purchased on live market which are 7+ Gb take up to much room, and I know you cant put a game on a usb it has to be on a HDD, sorry io should of explained better lol
I don't mean im running outta room for my saves, I mean the games ive purchased on live market which are 7+ Gb take up to much room, and I know you cant put a game on a usb it has to be on a HDD, sorry io should of explained better lol
Originally Posted by xXChaoticMothXx
Well I have a Star Wars console with 400gig and I'm almost full myself, so I find myself trying to finish up some games and then removing them for space, bare in mind if you ha e games you've completed or haven't started or feel you just won't be finishing then remove them, the saves can stay in place and usually don't take up very much room at all and you can always re download any content that you have already purchased even if it has been delisted from the market from general use.
Well I have a Star Wars console with 400gig and I'm almost full myself, so I find myself trying to finish up some games and then removing them for space, bare in mind if you ha e games you've completed or haven't started or feel you just won't be finishing then remove them, the saves can stay in place and usually don't take up very much room at all and you can always re download any content that you have already purchased even if it has been delisted from the market from general use.
That's a good point. That's what I'm doing now. I have about 10 games in my download queue, some of which are delisted. I plan on getting to them once I have the time.
so far that's what ive been doing but I have like 3 games installed and ive bought like 10 or 12 and id like to install some more of them as I havnt completed all of them, I switch games a lot until I find an addicting one lol but its depressing when you have to keep choosing which game your not going to play for a while then delete it, I think a spare HDD is the way forward il just buy a 300+ gb
so far that's what ive been doing but I have like 3 games installed and ive bought like 10 or 12 and id like to install some more of them as I havnt completed all of them, I switch games a lot until I find an addicting one lol but its depressing when you have to keep choosing which game your not going to play for a while then delete it, I think a spare HDD is the way forward il just buy a 300+ gb
Originally Posted by xXChaoticMothXx
You should try Ebay for some cheap ones then or a local pawn shop or local sellers listings.. Who knows you may score something a bit more while your at it.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account