Reviving the "Challenge... What Challenge?" badge competition

General Chat

Found 26 posts - Go to Last Post

After removing somebody's leaderboard, I started clearing out my own and realized that there was an old leaderboard moderated by a former staff member for the Challenge... What Challenge? badge. Seeing how that badge hasn't been awarded since 2018, it seems like it's long past time for a revival.

I've created a new leaderboard for the competition, here. Anybody interested in getting the badge should join. As this is the middle of the month, I won't start the competition until June 1st, and will start awarding the badge at the end of June/start of July.
I get that reference!

Also, if someone wins the monthly leaderboard, but already has the badge, does it just not get awarded that month? I remember the badge and the challenge, but, not really how they worked specifically.
I get that reference!

Also, if someone wins the monthly leaderboard, but already has the badge, does it just not get awarded that month? I remember the badge and the challenge, but, not really how they worked specifically.
Originally Posted by futiles
I don't know if there is an official policy on it, but my current thought is not to award it to #2 unless we don't see much change month to month. But, I'm also thinking that we'll be seeing people drop off of the leaderboard after they get the badge. I'll have to wait and see how it actually goes.
Eric might need to look into the underlying code for the leaderboard because the search bar to locate a specific user/Gamertag on the leaderboard appears to be broken.
I don't know if there is an official policy on it, but my current thought is not to award it to #2 unless we don't see much change month to month. But, I'm also thinking that we'll be seeing people drop off of the leaderboard after they get the badge. I'll have to wait and see how it actually goes.
Originally Posted by HyruleBalverine
If you have the badge then you should probably not join the leaderboard to give other people who don't have it on the site a fair go at it.
I think both methods are valid, and there really isn't a "right" answer, but, as long as whichever way y'all decide is clearly expressed, that is the way it is (and should be).

If you allow people who already have the badge to compete, there will be people who intentionally try to block others from getting it. But, that is competition. So, if you see the same people winning every few months, it will not help drive enthusiasm for the challenge or the badge, and wouldn't drive engagement nor attraction to the site.

On the other side, if you basically remove people who have the badge from the leaderboard, or otherwise ignore holders of the badge and go to someone who doesn't, it basically becomes a "wait your turn" badge, and basically, eventually, everyone gets it. But, it could lead to continued interest and engagement.

Insert favorite shrug gif...

My only recommendation is pick a method, clearly define that method, and stick to it. Someone is going to hate the method you pick, and is going to vocally complain. But, screw em, you posted how it works.
Yay for the revival. Better get those easy 1000G's ready Smile
Nah, keep it dead. I like being the last one to have earned it Stick Out Tongue
I think both methods are valid, and there really isn't a "right" answer, but, as long as whichever way y'all decide is clearly expressed, that is the way it is (and should be).

If you allow people who already have the badge to compete, there will be people who intentionally try to block others from getting it. But, that is competition. So, if you see the same people winning every few months, it will not help drive enthusiasm for the challenge or the badge, and wouldn't drive engagement nor attraction to the site.

On the other side, if you basically remove people who have the badge from the leaderboard, or otherwise ignore holders of the badge and go to someone who doesn't, it basically becomes a "wait your turn" badge, and basically, eventually, everyone gets it. But, it could lead to continued interest and engagement.

Insert favorite shrug gif...

My only recommendation is pick a method, clearly define that method, and stick to it. Someone is going to hate the method you pick, and is going to vocally complain. But, screw em, you posted how it works.
My thought is that the competition is specifically to earn the badge. Personally, I feel that there are plenty of other leaderboards around for people who just want to outdo everybody else (granted, several of those are going to be topped by Stallion Lol), so my preferred method would be for people to drop off of the leaderboard voluntarily once they get the badge and give others the chance. I can guarantee that not everyone will join as some don't care or aren't active, so it won't just be a "gimme" badge in that regard.
Man, Stallion isn't even top 30 gamerscore anymore. I think RedmptionDenied might still be #1, he was last time I checked.
Man, Stallion isn't even top 30 gamerscore anymore. I think RedmptionDenied might still be #1, he was last time I checked.
According to the other site, RedmptionDenied is still #1 and Stallion is 19th.
According to the other site, RedmptionDenied is still #1 and Stallion is 19th.
Originally Posted by Dvader83
19th by Gamerscore, or by their internal score? I believe that is by their own imaginary number...

There are at least 30 people with 3M+ Gamerscore, Stallion was not one of those...
In fact, Stallion83 is in 19th when we take into account TrueAchievementsPoints, when we talk about GamerScore, he is in 44th.
I did say Gamerscore... And I don't need a second made up number based on the first made up number to rank people...
Well, I guess that goes to show how little attention I really pay to leaderboards lol
Back on topic, I would vote for earning the badge also earns you an exit from the leaderboard. Congratulations, now go away.

Maybe make a second leaderboard only open to those that have won it and let them fight it out for the monthly bragging rights amongst themselves.
I look forward to never earning this as I'm not in the "baby game" market.
Back on topic, I would vote for earning the badge also earns you an exit from the leaderboard. Congratulations, now go away.

Maybe make a second leaderboard only open to those that have won it and let them fight it out for the monthly bragging rights amongst themselves.
Originally Posted by Hotdogmcgee
I like this idea. Call it "Challenge accepted" or "Badge of Honor" or something similar.
I look forward to never earning this as I'm not in the "baby game" market.
Originally Posted by Dacoto
I may never get it, either. Such is life. But you are guaranteed to never get it if you never try. Smile

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account