Comments Around the Site

Feature Requests

Found 18 posts - Go to Last Post

Declined
Are comments still tracked after you " Post 1,000 comments around the site"? If so can we add the count to our page somewhere, Maybe next to the post count in the overview?
Last edited 08-10-2015 at 09:16 PM by MarvzMitts.
How about we just add another badge to the series and make it post 1 million comments around the site! This is half meant as a joke and half meant in seriousness.
How about we just add another badge to the series and make it post 1 million comments around the site! This is half meant as a joke and half meant in seriousness.
Originally Posted by B8TINGU
I'm sure you could find support for 5000 or 2500 and 5000.... There's only one person over 2000....
I'm sure you could find support for 5000 or 2500 and 5000.... There's only one person over 2000....
Originally Posted by Fshguy
That works too. So you are able to see the counts beyond 1000 then.
Originally Posted by Preludecris
LOL, how about 100 Million!

/Pinky up
I'm in total support.. I mean other people got there badge count pushed up just by asking, right?
I've seen the feeds of many of you; they're just full of empty comments that inflate your numbers. Looks like bot spam or something to an outsider. I don't see much value in adding tiers when it's unrealistic for anyone to reach those amounts without boosting.

If you want to see your comment total, check out View Feed under the Activity section in your profile. From there, you can select Profile Comments among other options in the dropdown. (You're sitting at 1,265 Marv)
I've seen the feeds of many of you; they're just full of empty comments that inflate your numbers. Looks like bot spam or something to an outsider. I don't see much value in adding tiers when it's unrealistic for anyone to reach those amounts without boosting.

If you want to see your comment total, check out View Feed under the Activity section in your profile. From there, you can select Profile Comments among other options in the dropdown. (You're sitting at 1,265 Marv)
Originally Posted by Obsidian Tides
Good to know, I didn't realize I was able to do that. Thanks for the tip.
This. As the first to 1000 comments (albeit through an exploit that has been fixed) I can tell you that blindly commenting just for a badge encourages spam and detracts from the site. Anyone that spammed my feed would be blocked right away.

This, 100% this. This is why the X # of posts, X # of Threads, X # of Comments, etc, are all awful badges...
This, 100% this. This is why the X # of posts, X # of Threads, X # of Comments, etc, are all awful badges...
Originally Posted by futiles
As I get understand it, these badges were meant to drum up community activity and it has, but it also has a tendency to backfire a bit. This being a site driven by achievement driven people, you had to know some one was going to to boost these. Yes we have all done it and I can say that I am actively doing it, but I have kept my group very limited in nature. I don't consider it's spam as it only effects those people in my "boosting" group. To tell you the truth though its a competitive site for badges and if I am being honest, then honestly I would have loved to seen these strictly limited to a much lesser realistic number.
You can get those badges without spamming. There is no rush to get them ASAP. Over time you will get them.
To be clear, I don't personally mind people trying for existing badges. However, I see no way to justify adding more that have unreasonable totals.
As I get understand it, these badges were meant to drum up community activity and it has, but it also has a tendency to backfire a bit. This being a site driven by achievement driven people, you had to know some one was going to to boost these. Yes we have all done it and I can say that I am actively doing it, but I have kept my group very limited in nature. I don't consider it's spam as it only effects those people in my "boosting" group. To tell you the truth though its a competitive site for badges and if I am being honest, then honestly I would have loved to seen these strictly limited to a much lesser realistic number.
I honestly don't understand what you are saying. I did know these would backfire, I have been pretty vocal about how absurdly silly these badges are. But, even if only one person abuses the system, and spams peoples' feeds, and the forums, and threads, and whatever else, then, the badges are not worth having. So far, the badges have not done anything to "drum up community activity" but rather, have led to a banning, Eric activating the option to block people from posting to your feed unless they are your friend, multiple threads suggesting "limiting the number of posts/new threads/comments per day by a user." So, they are bad badges.

I don't think the feeds have been abused too much. There's some activity which is more of a reminder to come back everyday so earn the visit the site streak, which I think is a good thing. These comments are one and one and not broadcast to everybody.

The forum ones are little more touchy since extraneous posting affects more people. Some badges that encourage site participation in moderation is a good thing.
That one guy from Europe abused it and then he put the pause in, which I hate.
I don't think the feeds have been abused too much. There's some activity which is more of a reminder to come back everyday so earn the visit the site streak, which I think is a good thing. These comments are one and one and not broadcast to everybody.

The forum ones are little more touchy since extraneous posting affects more people. Some badges that encourage site participation in moderation is a good thing.
Thank you Fsh this was my sentiments exactly.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account