Do you want to see a Genre Badge System on GTN

(You may not vote on this poll)

× 24 (58.54%) Yes, it would be incredibly fun to chase down badge and see where I stand in the community

× 6 (14.63%) Maybe, I don't care either way, but I find the idea interesting

× 11 (26.83%) No, I'm not interested in chasing down more badges

• Added 11-03-2015 03:11 PM
  • 41 votes
I would find myself somewhere between Kaens and Fshguy.

Games should never leave a genre. It had servers close, patches added, or whatever, and a portion of achievements aren't available anymore? Tough shit.

15 new games came out in the FPS genre, and you are no longer a 5-star FPS genre holder, and your badge was reduced to reflect your current level? Tough shit.
Originally Posted by futiles
I agree and this should only be reflected in the hardcore tiers, not in the casual tiers where you get credit just for playing the game or having a small portion of Gamerscore.
Lets also say that the system is created and set up and you don't like it. You are not being forced to participate, let users opt out. There are plenty of features here that people do not use. Forums, Writing solutions/guides, and yes current badges.
I agree and this should only be reflected in the hardcore tiers, not in the casual tiers where you get credit just for playing the game or having a small portion of Gamerscore.
Originally Posted by MarvzMitts
I actually see no reason for the casual tier, as you describe it.
I say it already exists. But instead of genres it's games series.

Casual = badge for playing a game
Hardcore = badge for completing a game

Tons of examples of this already on the site. Whatever is going to be done, I wish they'd do it soon. I'm bored and need a reason to score lots of points.

Tons of examples of this already on the site. Whatever is going to be done, I wish they'd do it soon. I'm bored and need a reason to score lots of points.
Originally Posted by Kaens
And that makes sense. But for genres, as described here, I cannot see a reason to spend time on a casual tier.
Maybe it's that way here, but on 360 voice you whined about this all of the time, and "tough shit" didn't work for you... People lost badges. So how does that solve the problem now?

You don't get to keep your job, house, whatever just cause you worked hard last year. That's life. Why should you get a badge and get to keep it that represents your commitment to a genre 10 years ago?

Anyhow, there are a lot of site participation badges here, there should be a balance between those and genres, if that were such a thing. We ended up with 30-40 genres(somebody can go count if they wish) cause a genre got "too big". If the genres are were a little more general and games are allowed in multiple genres, that might solve some of the problems.

Oh, can you do something about the whiners that only show up and complain about stuff, but don't participate in the forums otherwise?

But at the end of the day people will complain about whatever solution you come up with, so better to not bother in the first place.
Originally Posted by Fshguy
We definitely need a badge for whining, the description for the badge could be "But I was going to go to Tosche to pick up some power converters"
NO!!! No genre badges!!! It ruined 360V for me...
Originally Posted by porschephiliac
@Fshguy - told you it wasn't just me
Wait, how could that be? Because it tormented your OCD tendencies? Because it tormented your your OCD tendendcies?
Wait, how could that be? Because it tormented your OCD tendencies? Because it tormented your your OCD tendendcies?
Originally Posted by Fshguy
Reading that made me clinch my jaw and gave me jaw pain. Congrats!
Then give us your idea.

It's not much of a series if you are only completing one game to get a badge. More badges would be good.
So what exactly ruined it? Badgescore was but one aspect of the site.
Then give us your idea.
Well, I guess my idea would be don't do the casual tier as suggested. I thought that was fairly clear, but, I guess not.

Who are you targeting with it? You are on an achievement site with a lower userbase, and an even smaller percentage of which are active.

You literally find yourself in the 1% of the 1% (of maybe the 1%). So, "casual" isn't really a thing around a place like this. So, who are you appealing to with it? And with as convoluted of a setup as you have, it ceases to actual be casual, but rather easy. So, why have it?
So what exactly ruined it? Badgescore was but one aspect of the site.
I can't speak for anyone else, but for me..

1. No point in the auto blog anymore. I don't know how many witty things were written for it to randomly pull, but after years it's the same crap and it's just hindering my ability to look at my stats.
  2. Despite years of asking, never was autojoining challenges implemented.
  3. Unreliable pulls, causing people to loose streaks.
  4. No accommodation for different time zones in streaks.
  5. Seriously outdated web design.

Fshguy's challenges were literally the ONLY reason I visited that site. And the best thing about the badge system was Fshguy's tracking/stat pages. They are NOT part of the site, they were Shawn's and using the 360v apis.
Last edited 11-05-2015 at 02:13 AM by Kaens.
Despite years of asking, never was autojoining challenges implemented.

They are NOT part of the site, they were Sean's and using the 360v apis.
What would Auto-joining challenges have been, and how would they have differed from the autochallenges that did exist?

(Oh, and it actually took me a minute to comprehend the last sentence, since Fsh is Shawn, and someone else is Sean, and my brain say, "He was involved in that, too?" I literally had to make myself understand which one you were talking about. Just thought that was funny.)
What would Auto-joining challenges have been, and how would they have differed from the autochallenges that did exist?

(Oh, and it actually took me a minute to comprehend the last sentence, since Fsh is Shawn, and someone else is Sean, and my brain say, "He was involved in that, too?" I literally had to make myself understand which one you were talking about. Just thought that was funny.)
It's not my fault his mother spelled his name wrong. And the problem with the autochallenges was it's me and 5-7 randoms near me. I wanted to autojoin Fshguy's challenges.
Wow, a lot of great ideas in here, seriously just reading thru this objectively not taking sides, yet... I can see we may be able to pull something off. All of you have good arguments. I think if we (Staff) can maybe talk about this calmly in say a staff meeting before bring our ideas to the public. Not saying the community should not have a say in the matter, because this is an obvious hot button issue. I have brought this up before myself.
It's not my fault his mother spelled his name wrong. And the problem with the autochallenges was it's me and 5-7 randoms near me. I wanted to autojoin Fshguy's challenges.
Well, and texts from them come as Shawn and Sean, since I don't use gamertags in my phone, so, it was just natural for me to read it and think Sean...
All of this. All of the various reasons. 3v got too big because of the badges issues. It became unmanageable and I was annoyed with the prospect of having to play every single game and earning so much damn unnecessary Gamerscore from shite games just to get badges. It all started with the various 'collector' badges and it went downhill from there.

What you're talking about for this site is adding that useless e-penis measurement tool into an already well-established system that GTN has. With the burden that the staff already has, adding this feature would further diminish their abilities to keep up with the growing demand that is the GTN community.

Leave GTN alone. It is NOT TA. It is NOT 360Voice. It is GTN and it should stay that way.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account