Do you want to see a Genre Badge System on GTN

(You may not vote on this poll)

× 24 (58.54%) Yes, it would be incredibly fun to chase down badge and see where I stand in the community

× 6 (14.63%) Maybe, I don't care either way, but I find the idea interesting

× 11 (26.83%) No, I'm not interested in chasing down more badges

• Added 11-03-2015 03:11 PM
  • 41 votes
Well, and texts from them come as Shawn and Sean, since I don't use gamertags in my phone, so, it was just natural for me to read it and think Sean...
Originally Posted by futiles
It just occurred to me that Kaens is almost an anagram of Sean, Skean, Seank... So, I I've been saying Keans wrong in my head, its should be more like Kawnsh...

And really, "Sean" should be abolished...
I can't speak for anyone else, but for me..

1. No point in the auto blog anymore. I don't know how many witty things were written for it to randomly pull, but after years it's the same crap and it's just hindering my ability to look at my stats.
  2. Despite years of asking, never was autojoining challenges implemented.
  3. Unreliable pulls, causing people to loose streaks.
  4. No accommodation for different time zones in streaks.
  5. Seriously outdated web design.

Fshguy's challenges were literally the ONLY reason I visited that site. And the best thing about the badge system was Fshguy's tracking/stat pages. They are NOT part of the site, they were Shawn's and using the 360v apis.
Originally Posted by Kaens
Some of those things I'll take some blame for...

I rewrote the autoblog and put in provisions for more verbiage. I wanted to even put different languages in....
Frankly, I didn't get to the auto challenge feature for user challenges... It would have only affected a couple groups, so never made priority.
I rewrote the streak handling as well and made it more generous, but didn't fix both sides of play streaks and score streaks which caused more headaches
I'm not a UI guy, so unfortunately, that got really neglected... It's a really large effort to do something like that taking months of time for a large site....

Just providing insight. Wish I had put more into 360voice, wish I had more help at the time, but with the ownership being part of a company that could decide to pull the plug at any time. I felt like I couldn't really ask somebody else to help knowing their work might go away. And yet, the servers are still on now... Go figure.

I think the largest detriment to the site was that the original guys didn't want to go against Microsoft and scan for achievements and risk the site to be shut down by Microsoft.
I think the largest detriment to the site was that the original guys didn't want to go against Microsoft and scan for achievements and risk the site to be shut down by Microsoft.
Originally Posted by Fshguy
If only they had known that if MS liked your site enough, breaking their rules was OK...
If only they had known that if MS liked your site enough, breaking their rules was OK...
Yeah, they really hosed the people that joined the original developers program. Those that came in after that had an advantage over those officially in the program. The start of the program was great and spawned a lot of good sites at the time though.
It just occurred to me that Kaens is almost an anagram of Sean, Skean, Seank... So, I I've been saying Keans wrong in my head, its should be more like Kawnsh...

And really, "Sean" should be abolished...
The a is before the e. Most people mistare lying pronounce it as "keens", but it should be pronounced "canes" .
The a is before the e. Most people mistare lying pronounce it as "keens", but it should be pronounced "canes" .
Like it's a real word, like futiles...

BTW, how did you get "mistare lying", my iphone is bad, but that's an unusual auto correct.

BTW, how did you get "mistare lying", my iphone is bad, but that's an unusual auto correct.
Yeah, I have not figured out which words he was trying to use, so, I figure "mistare lying" is some kind of WV slang term.

Hell I have no idea. I did that from my Galaxy S6 Edge while in a meeting. I bet I said "mistakenly" and maybe fat fingered a space in there.
The problem was the original guys were so far removed from it before livegamer fucked the site up so badly that no one attempted to push the boundaries until Fshguy did.

They basically said we don't give a shit if people are using the site, we don't need your help. They completely didn't understand the website and didn't care.

I still can't believe it is up.....curious in a way as to how many support emails they still have generated.
Well, I guess my idea would be don't do the casual tier as suggested. I thought that was fairly clear, but, I guess not.

Who are you targeting with it? You are on an achievement site with a lower userbase, and an even smaller percentage of which are active.

You literally find yourself in the 1% of the 1% (of maybe the 1%). So, "casual" isn't really a thing around a place like this. So, who are you appealing to with it? And with as convoluted of a setup as you have, it ceases to actual be casual, but rather easy. So, why have it?
As I suggested, correct. You didn't like the idea, but people also don't want to lose badges. So that was a possible solution to the problem. Not doing a casual tier is not a solution, so give us an idea that would help those people.

Yes this site is quite small in comparison to others, but more people join every day. Build a system and maybe more people will come. The set up I put forth is not convoluted. It is a slightly tweaked version of Fshguy's badgscore system. So if you think my suggestion is convoluted, then it has always been convoluted when it was in use at 360Voice. Me adding a base gamerscore and a casual tier to the system is not going to make it that way.
I can't speak for anyone else, but for me..

Fshguy's challenges were literally the ONLY reason I visited that site. And the best thing about the badge system was Fshguy's tracking/stat pages. They are NOT part of the site, they were Shawn's and using the 360v apis.
I agree and know that part of 360Voice was all Fshguy, I appreciatd it greatly and it was one of my favorite parts of the site. I would want something similar here. Then do it without a point system if that is such a big hurdle.
All of this. All of the various reasons. 3v got too big because of the badges issues. It became unmanageable and I was annoyed with the prospect of having to play every single game and earning so much damn unnecessary Gamerscore from shite games just to get badges. It all started with the various 'collector' badges and it went downhill from there.

What you're talking about for this site is adding that useless e-penis measurement tool into an already well-established system that GTN has. With the burden that the staff already has, adding this feature would further diminish their abilities to keep up with the growing demand that is the GTN community.

Leave GTN alone. It is NOT TA. It is NOT 360Voice. It is GTN and it should stay that way.
Originally Posted by porschephiliac
Is the staff really burdened here? I don't see it. 4,000+ members less then 100 people post if that. The current badges is not a form of an e-penis? I don't see that way and I didn't see Fshguy's system that way either. For me it was fun. You don't have to play every genre and every game. Pick one or two that you really like and be a master in it. Get that genre leader badge, then work on another if you like. It would be fun for me. You like the current badges as is, that is why I am suggesting creating a 2nd system. If you don't want to participate, then you could opt out. No one would be forcing you. If the site hits 10,000 users, will that be to big? More people will be joining the site.
One more thing about opting out. I didn't care one bit about the Gears of War 3 team contest that ran at 360Voice. It was the worst part of that site with all the whiners and ultimately the team hopping. I couldn't have cared less about the the game, the competition (and I can be competitive), and the prizes. I opted out and it did not ruin the site for me.
Genre badges again....are we sure we want that can of worms again?
Originally Posted by WolfWood37
I think this can be accomplished with out all the drama. I think primary the last go was because there was just too many cooks in the kitchen. Then again this could all be for not as it is kind of up to Eric and Fsh for the coding and programing and like Fsh pointed out early it could take months. Lets not get too worked up about it.
I don't see enough of a difference from our own badge system to warrant the confusion that would arise from having two. That's to say nothing of the other issues that have been brought up.
Wolfwood!!!! My feelings exactly...
Wolfwood!!!! My feelings exactly...
Kept you waiting huh? What's happening Fshguy?
Interesting "coincidence" that everyone ever involved in genre badges before thinks genre badges are a bad idea.

So weird...
Interesting "coincidence" that everyone ever involved in genre badges before thinks genre badges are a bad idea.

So weird...
I'd call that lesson learned. Let's not repeat the same mistakes.
  • The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
  • Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
  • We are products of our past, but we don't have to be prisoners of it.
  • We learn from failure, not from success!

I must say, I forgive you guys, just don't do it again. After all, "To err is human, to forgive, divine.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account